In 2004, the LG business group prepared for mass production by consolidating several solar research laboratories under the LG Electronics umbrella. Using decades of R&D experience, LG Electronics broke ground on its first solar cell and module factory.
LG considers the solar power business a considerable new growth engine of the LG Group. The success of our division materialized in the construction and operation of a 14MW scaled solar power plant in Taean, Korea in 2008, and is responsible for the supply of wafers through Siltron, a subsidiary company. Today, LG Solar is on the forefront of product development for all aspects of solar usage, from residential, to commercial to utility grade.
- Founded as GoldStar
- GoldStar Electronics conducts its first solar cell multicrystalline R&D
- GoldStar Industrial Systems develops its portable solar cell technology called 'Solar Lantern'
- GoldStar Central R&D Lab and Lucky Chemical develop their solar cell manufacturing technology
- GoldStar Industrial Systems establishes photovoltaic power plants
- GoldStar Electronics applies and qualifies to manufacture heaters and solar panels that operate on naturally circulating solar heat
- LG Industrial Systems sets up PV traffic signs - LG Industrial Systems establishes PV clock towers
- LG Industrial Systems establishes 17 PV streetlights in Incheon parks, Korea
- LG Industrial Systems establishes PV power generation systems at the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST)
- LG Chemical conducts its solar cell polycrystalline R&D
- LG Solar Energy operates its first 14MW solar farm in Taean, Korea
- Solar Cell Research Team in LG Chemical integrates with LG Electronics
- LG Electronics constructs PV cell and module factories in Gumi, Korea - LG Electronics Solar Test Lab is certified by TÜV and UL
- Mass production begins